Friday, May 29, 2009

Laura's Granola

This is my favorite granola recipe courtesy of my high school friend's Mom, Laura.  You can make it crunchy or gooey:


6c rolled oats
1/2 c wheat germ
1c unsweetened coconut
1c nuts
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1 tsp. almond extract
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 c vegetable oil
1c honey
1c raisins or other dried fruit (chopped to raisin sized pieces)

Mix grains, nuts, and seeds.  Pour oil and honey in and mix.  Spread on oiled cookie sheet and bake at 275 for 30 mins or until golden brown.  Stir occasionally.  Put in bowl after it has cooled and add fruit.  If you like it crunchy, stop here.  For gooey granola, drizzle an extra 1/2 c honey and stir.

Store in airtight container.

I'm sure you can see that any of the nuts and seeds can be substituted or omitted, so there is a lot of room for customization.  This is a great summer snack, in fact, I think I'm going to make one for the road trip we are heading on next week!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Esther said...

I just made it and I love it already! It's still in the pan cooling and I find myself grabbing handfuls of it to snack on. Thanks!

Annalee said...

Fun, I'll have to try this! I have another granola recipe that is similar, but it's always great to try something new!! I bet some flax seed would be nice in this...

Becky said...

ali, i'm so glad you posted this! adam and i have been wanting to make homemade granola for sometime now. and i'm always looking for recipes to use my wheat germ in! thanks!

p.s. hope you'll enter this month's Shirley J Home Chef Blog Recipe Contest! The key ingredient is Shirley J Pizza and Pasta Seasoning! Deadline is Saturday, June 20 at midnight!

Here are the details: http://shirleyjsoupbasesandseasonings.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/june-2009-home-chef-blog-recipe-contest-its-ahh-pizzah-pasta-seasoning-time/

annalee: ooh yeah flax seed would be a good addition!

Jessica said...

I remember you used to make this when we lived at King Henry. It is so good. I am so glad that you posted the recipe. :-)

Becky said...

um...nudge nudge.

love to see more of what you're making. but understand if another post doesn't come for a while.

maybe you can offer some tricks to grilling/baking fish/shrimp! :) i'm always looking for tips on seafood.

Kathleen said...

This looks like some super yummy granola!

Sarah said...

yum!